Skip to main content

IT CAME



IT CAME.

"The stars look cool." He yelled as he excitedly pulled her to the back porch, surprisingly strong for someone so small. She gasped when she saw the sky, fear taking hold.

"Those aren't stars Sam."

"Then what are they?" He turned to face her.

She sure looked beautiful.

"They're meteors!" She yelled.

What?

"Run!"

*****

That was a month ago.

The world was not the same after that night. The Earth never recovered and for whatever reason, the stars never did too—almost as if they knew that nothing would ever be worth shining on again, that nothing would ever be beautiful again.

But she'd been...

He felt the familiar prickle of tears. He promised himself that he would never cry, never again.

He sat up on his makeshift bed, his riffle laid undisturbed underneath his pillow, and with it, her picture.

Not many people had escaped, heck, he barely had. She hadn't-

Like the star, suddenly she was gone. Her regalia never to be beheld again. It hurt. He hated how much it hurt.

December 21st, 2021. 

They called it The Night of Tears. It was the night he'd lost everything and the night the heavens had wept.

He stood up and stretched. It was another day. He walked over to the old transistor radio. Funny how everyone reverts to the 'stone age' when a power beyond human comprehension, forces them back in time.

He turned the knob, till he got the right frequency. 

"There is hope. I repeat there is hope. If anyone can hear me, there is a safe place, a fortified city with water and electricity. There is food. To anyone out there that may still be alive, there is hope. If we come together and work as one, the world might just live again...."

It went on in repeat. He'd listened to it every day. It was what kept him going. 

It was his third day without food and he couldn't even remember the last time he'd had a decent bath.

The city-sized meteors hadn't spared anyone, not even the animals. A third of the earth wasted away in flames. Half of the rest died of hunger and the rest hid away in bunkers, seeming to have known the end of the world was coming.

He was almost there, he could feel it, any day now, he would get to the fortified city.

He packed his gear and whistled to his pet dog. It was Amy's—the only thing he had left of her. The brown bundle of fur jumped up and down as he wagged his tail. He smiled.

"Let's go, Bill. We have a long day ahead of us." He took the rifle underneath his pillow and counted the bullets—two.

It would have to do. He didn't want to think of the day he'd have to use it. He raised his head hearing tires screeching, people hooting. 

Maybe, just maybe today would be that day.

°

°

°

°

°

°

This is one of my many flash fictions, based on literary prompts (sentences or dialogues given to a writer to write a complete literary piece.)

I wrote the fiction off of the first few given sentences.

Do you like it? 🤗❤

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

24 HOURS

A Short Flash Fiction, where a man sold his soul to the devil in return for his mother's life. ENJOY! * * * I could barely breathe with the dirty horse sack over my head. I was panting as I tried figuring out where they were taking me. I wasn't wearing any shoes, so I felt every sharp pinch of the rocks against my feet. "Where are you taking me?" I managed to grit out but my words came out incoherent against the dirty rag rubbing me in the face. Finally, we stopped and I was brought to my knees by a rough kick to my legs. "Welcome, Bill." A voice said to my left. The sack was taken off me and I saw my fellow co-worker at the local Wall-mart. "Mike?" I looked around me and saw the two men that had led me here. They weren't any people I knew. I looked around; it seemed like a basement of some kind. They kept some wine bottles in cribs on the wall. We were in a wine cellar. "What was so special about this place that you had to gag me and cove

THE EXPERIMENT

He lost his wife and daughter and now he had no one. ° ° ° ° Where am I? My head felt heavy as though I'd been hit with a hammer. My body was hot and I was struggling against someone. I heard voices but they were fading in and out just like I was. In my haze, I saw a man wearing a nose mask and a pair of surgical gloves. "Who are you?" I managed to mumble. My throat felt so raw, it felt like I'd been thirsty for days. "He's awake! Get me Dr Sullivan." The man screamed. I was on the bed and directly above me was a large fluorescent light that was starting to hurt my eyes. "Who are you? Where am I?!" "Get me the anesthetic. Quickly! He doesn't need to be awake for this." The man I assumed to be the Doctor barked at a trembling nurse. My heart felt like it weighed a tonne and my heart was beating so hard against my chest I thought it'd leap out through my throat. Within seconds, I was injected w

Come out of your comfort zone.

_Come out of your comfort zone_ Our back bones are breaking, And our smiles are cracked. How hard it is to walk in the path of success. With boulders strapped to our backs, we climb the crooked mountain of prosperity. We tell ourselves, it'll be worth it. We can't remain where we are. We gotta keep moving. We look behind us—our past. Life is not a bed of roses in any way. This mountain before us is dark and cynical. Its rough paths makes our toes cry for mercy. But we turn a deaf ear to their pleas, Not a stance of peace or rest. We gotta keep moving. But the strength of a few steps is all we have left. We are weary to move on. Our fortune, our success, our wealth and honour. We see them just at the pinnacle of the jagged mountain, Laughing at us, teasing us. Is this it, for us? Do we make it? But His voice again do I hear, "Move my child, your reward awaits you." We're unstoppable like a Ferrari without brakes, _I&#