Skip to main content

King X

Prompt:
Write a short story on how the letter X became a protagonist in the world of mathematics. X, the unknown king.
.
.
.
.
This was an alternate reality, something that exists in the fabric of time far away, another world where equations were not only what we used to solve problems, but they were beings, fully sentient material entities that were able, perceive, assimilate, think, and solve for themselves.
The name of this reality is the Rubix Realm.

There was a myth. He was a legend. He was called X. Most people didn't know if he was real. But then, those who were aware, those who were around during that time, they spoke of a variable whose disappearance changed the reality as they knew it.
The world then was a world where there wasn’t any equation that was not solved. Ever since X disappeared, in the tribe of Calculus, in the tribe of Algebra, in the tribe of Geometry, in the tribe of Differential Realms, things never remained the same.

2000 years later, their reality tilted on the edge of destruction. There was a stability that had held for those 2 millennia. It was the balance on which their world hung, but it was getting weaker with every passing cycle. Something in the structure of existence was thinning, like a thread being pulled too many times.

Y and Z tried to complete the equation, but all they were getting were partial equations.
Incomplete expressions and fractured logic. These were answers that stopped just before meaning could form.

Mathematics was about to be destroyed. Signs getting lost in the abyss. Equations breaking halfway through to completion, collapsing before they could resolve into anything stable. Entire structures of logic began to falter mid-formation, as if the language of existence itself was forgetting how to finish speaking.

The + sign always knew a return was eminent, but it was a question of whether there would be anything left to save. It had always been there, steady between values, holding things together in quiet certainty. Now even it felt the imbalance. Even it could sense the fracture spreading through the realm. The realm warped and groaned.

Calculus planes flickered out of alignment. Algebraic structures bent into shapes that no longer held coherence. Geometry lost its accurate edges, because form itself was being questioned. And beneath it all, something ancient in the system stirred… as if remembering a name it was never supposed to forget. X.

At the center of the Equation Realm, where all planes intersected without fully touching, the Foundation Equation began to react. It had always been there. Waiting. No one had ever been able to decide which it was.Now it was changing. The empty space within it—the space that no variable had ever been able to occupy—began to respond.

The King had returned.
.
.
.
.
.
.

A/N: Hi everyone. It's been a while! I'm dedicating this story to my friend Samuel. I won't lie, it was a bit tricky to write but I got it at the end of the day. 😘

Do leave a comment and share and let me know what you want me to write next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

'In The Last Days'

Hi guys! It's me again. I'll be giving a detailed synopsis of my first book, 'In The Last Days'. I mean, It's been so long overdue 🙈 Rose is a seventeen years old girl who found light in the midst of darkness. She lost her father at the age of fifteen and things haven't been the same ever since. And she noticed something— People always seemed to leave her. Her father left, Brenda left and her mother though present physically hasn't paid attention in a long time. Rose promised herself that she would make it out of high school even if it would be alone. Junior year, she made up her mind to make the most of it, laying low. Rose felt immensely alone until she saw a yellow note lying on the floor with just four words written on it—a kitten had brought it. 'Your Worries Are Known' and strangely, those words had comforted her and that was the night her life changed forever. At school, met someone that would come to mean more— Michael Wh...

The Truth

The room was dark. It could easily have been called a conference room. It had everything a conference room could have—chairs arranged around the huge center table along with huge flat screen Tvs lining up the wall in front of them. But there was something omnious, almost evil about it. This wasn't a usual gathering to discuss sales or business plans, this is where the would be fate of the world would be discussed—in less than two minutes. CEOs of different conglomerates of the world trooped in one by one. Some very public figures and very wealthy men were also in attendance. Men and women of different races sat round the table, until finally, only one seat was left. As soon as he entered, every man and woman stood up and bowed. They began to hail him.  ********* "Come on Honey, it's time to go. We're leaving." Her Dad said as he helped her with her remaining luggage. "Why do we have to go Dad? I love it here....

Beautiful Scars

Lately I've been questioning myself. How do people see me? I know no one is perfect but maybe my good side outways the bad, maybe. Am I beautiful to you, inside outside? Or just on the inside. I have scars, big ones and in not so pretty places. The doctors call it keloid. Yup the monster has a name. No one knows my pain. Only two people ever did. God and sis. It's hard but I would rather hope for a solution than let it get to me. I see how people look at my scars sometimes. Especially when they've seen my beauty a few times only to see what's hidden beneath my shirt, right below my neck. Some scars can't be hidden, like the ones on my wrist and arm. It hurts—literally. I'm in pain quite a lot of times from the scars. Who else would love me scars and all? Will you, will he, will they? I hope they do. I'll always find the strength to keep loving myself, despite all these. I love me, and I hope you do too.❤ ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° So guys, I hope you like this one! And...